The most important thing to understand as a new homeowner is that your house requires care and regular maintenance. As time goes on, parts of your house will wear out, break down, deteriorate, leak, or simply stop working.
But relax. Don’t get overwhelmed. You’re not alone. I can help you with maintaining your home. Consider hiring me to come back in about a year to perform an Annual Home Maintenance Inspection. I’ll show you what you should look for as a smart homeowner.
Homeowner’s Yearly Checklist
- Change the batteries in smoke detectors and carbon-monoxide alarms.
- Change furnace and A/C filters.
- Check fire extinguishers.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts.
- Call the chimney sweep.
- Check all window seals.
- Check the attic and basement for leaks.
- Check the dryer and other vents for debris.
What’s Included in Your Annual Home Maintenance Inspection?
I will inspect for any problems you may be concerned about, as well as the:
- roof system, including the chimney & all roof penetrations;
- gutters & downspouts;
- grading & drainage;
- walkways & driveway;
- garage doors, safety sensors & openers;
- exterior cladding;
- deck, stoops, porches & railings;
- windows & doors;
- attic, insulation & ventilation;
- heating system;
- cooling system;
- plumbing system;
- drainage sump pump with accessible float;
- electrical system;
- fireplace damper door & hearth;
- ceilings, floors & walls;
- basement, foundation & crawlspace;
- and much more!